Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Week 3 - The Numbers Are In

Week three brings another awesome number on the scale.  This morning when I stepped on the scale it said 240.8 pounds (picture is on my numbers page).  This gives me a 5 pound loss for the week and a total lost of 14.8 since the beginning of the year.

I was pretty surprised at my number this week.  I figured it would start getting smaller and things would start getting back to the normal 1 to 2 pounds a week.  It really goes to show just how much CRAP I was putting in my body over the last couple of months.  I feel pretty good about what I have been putting into my body.

I have yet to start logging my food again on My Fitness Pal.  I have just been logging my exercising and weight.  I have been debating back on forth on if I will start doing it again - I'm not sure.  After a year of doing it, I feel like I have a pretty good gauge of what I am eating.  I'm also not so sure calorie counting is for me anymore.  I think I am at the point where as long as I am eating the right things, the calories aren't as important, especially when putting in the exercise.  I think the key for me now is putting the right "fuel" into my body and "fueling" at the right times to get the most out of my calorie burn and to keep that metabolism revved up.  That being said, for those of you that are just beginning I would totally recommend keeping a food log or journal.  I think it is an amazing tool to help you see what you are eating, where you need to make adjustments, see areas that need improvement (like more fruits and veggies, or reducing your sodium intake).  I would also suggest also keeping track of your feelings and emotions in your food log.  It will really help you see what certain moods or feelings do to your eating habits.  When I did this, I found that I tend to go for the bad stuff when I am feeling down or stressed (I think we all do).  It gave me the opportunity to look for other ways to fight the emotions.

I was asked today if I am depriving myself, if I was getting enough to eat.  The funny part is, I feel like when I am eating healthy I am actually eating more food.  Along with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I am usually getting in two to three snacks a day.  At the end of every meal I feel satisfied, and I am not going to bed hungry. 

I'm pretty happy with the last three weeks.  I feel like I am definitely headed back in the right direction.  I am feeling and seeing a difference in my body again, where I was before I started picking the weight back up.  I was lying in bed this morning feeling my arms, side and stomach.  The guns, they are a forming...lol (thanks to classes and this pushup challenge).  I know I've got some abs in there under that fat and I can feel them getting stronger.  Whether I will ever be able to see a "six pack" ever, who knows....but as long as I keep eating well and putting in the work, my core will definitely get stronger.  And I have realized through this weight gain, that a strong core is a key and advantage to helping in so many other areas.  If you build it, the rest will come.

I've been hit or miss trying to reach my 10,000 steps a day.  I need to work on trying to reach this every day.  I'm hoping once the weather starts to warm up a little I can get back outside for my short walks during the day at work.  Those were always helpful, a nice break away from the desk, and a chance to clear the brain and refresh. 

I'm still working on my to do list (from my Let The Work Begin post).  I'm making progress but it is slow going.  There hasn't been a whole lot of extra time, but I need to get these done.

So for now, basically just keep doing the same things, make little changes and tweaks where needed, continue to be positive and forgive myself for the slip ups when they happen.  Rome was not built in a day, and neither am I.  I am in marathon mode and it is just the beginning.

Here's to another successful week with good choices, great exercising, and some time in there for some fun.

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing! Almost 15lbs in 3 weeks!!! I applaud your commitment to a year of MFP. I'm debating the same thing as you. Once I have a handle/gauge on things, should I keep logging? I'll stick with it a while longer but I've been either journaling or logging food for over a year and I have a lot down pat, but there are some areas that can use some work. Keep up the amazing work! :)

    ReplyDelete