Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Snow Day

The morning started when the alarm went off at 5AM.  Well, it actually started earlier than that.  I really had a rough night in the sleeping department.  A very rare thing for me these days.  I had been sleeping so well, but the last couple of nights have been broken up.  Hopefully, tonight will be back to the dying as soon the head hits the pillow.  Normally Tuesday means getting up and heading to the gym for 6 AM Body Combat class.  With impending weather I wasn't sure if I would make it or not.  So last night I stayed at the gym and took combat class last night.  This made for a long evening at the gym.  There is this new class at the gym called Fusion.  It is combination of both Body Pump and Body Combat (which I love both).  I really wanted to give this a try, but the only problem is that the class is on Monday's at 4:30 in the afternoon.  My work day doesn't end until 5.  But I told myself if I put in a really productive day I would sneak out early and try the class.  Unfortunately the class instructor was sick so the class got changed to just Body Pump.  I debated on canceling, but I thought why not still go.  So I did Body Combat, then Zumba, and then added Body Combat to my evening.  I was feeling pretty tired during Combat and my knee was starting to bother me.  Probably not the best idea for a three class night, but I powered through.  Luckily it was a day off on my fitness calendars.

So anyway, back to this morning.  I figured if it wasn't snowing yet I would head to class.  I got up out of bed and looked out the window....yup, snow.  So I turned on my heated blanket and got back into bed.  The office wasn't opening until 10 AM, so I set my alarm for 8 AM and went back to sleep.  I got up, still snowing but not too hard.  I put on some clothes and decided to go out and check out the roads.  Nothing had been done to them yet.  Bad weather during the week always gives me such anxiety.  The Maine girl in me would never miss a day of work because of snow, but I get so nervous down here.  First I live off a main road that not much is done too.  I've gotten stuck before trying to get home.  Also, people down here and their driving make me so nervous.  There have been three occasions where I have almost been in an accident in bad weather because of stupid people.  I got ready for work, got my car cleaned off, and headed to work.  I didn't get very far and turned around.  I probably could have made it into work but it was the ride home I was worried about.  This is when I am envious of others.  Some people have family that will drive them into work.  Then others have others in their life to depend on if need be.  I always think if I was to get into an accident I neither have another vehicle or someone else I can depend on.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Definitely worth using a day even though I had a ton of work to do.  There is always tomorrow.

My first thought was to get my PJ's on and get back into bed but I thought why not make it a productive day at home.  Since I had some extra time I decided to make myself a nice breakfast.  I had some leftover ham, onions, and peppers from pizza the other night so I made a scramble with eggs and cheese.  Add in a whole wheat english muffin and a banana, and it was a complete breakfast.
After breakfast I thought I would get bundled up and take a walk out in the snow.  I love walking in the snow.  It is so beautiful and peaceful and gives me a chance to clear my mind and think about things.  Since I had the time, I figured why not enjoy it.  This also gave me a chance to try out a new app (Map My Walk) that I added to my phone.  I had heard about it and seen other people using it, it looked cool.  So I bundled up, put my boots on (I would have rather have worn my sneakers, but probably not a great idea), grabbed my IPod, and headed out.  What an amazing walk.  A little slippery out, had to catch myself a few times from falling, but a great workout.  My pace wasn't my best but I figured it might not be a good idea to push it, fall, and hurt myself.  I loved the app.  Each mile a voice would tell you your stats.  An hour and 15 minutes later, I put in just a little over 3.5 miles.  So I at least know I can walk a 5K....now I just have to work on the jogging/running part.  Still not sure I am ready, but I am going to give it a try.  I know I have great support behind me that will help and push me.

After finishing my walk I came in and did my two exercise calendars (84 squats, 51 pushups, 36 fly bridges, 36 squat row and tricep extensions, and 36 sumo squat and curls).  I really do enjoy these calendars.  I can really feel some strength in these areas that I am working and I can start to see changes (a very nice bonus).  I definitely want to keep doing these calendars.  I look forward to see what next month brings, try something different, or even do these again or put them in my fitness folder to bring out when I want to do it again.

Usually being home all day like this would mean lots of bad eating and snacking.  Fortunately, I don't keep stuff like that in the apartment anymore.  I gotta admit for a moment when I was out walking I thought the grocery store isn't very far away.  I could walk there, pick up some comfort snacks, and indulge on my snow day.  Luckily I didn't bring any money with me on my walk, and if I wanted to I would have to walk all the way home and then back out.  Nah....didn't need the snacks. 

After my shower it was time to make some lunch.  Even if I was home, I decided to stick with my plan.  So I made a great salad with some added chicken on top.  I also cut up some strawberries to balance out my lunch.
The rest of the day was spent doing some things around the apartment that I didn't have time to do over the weekend.  I also got to work on my to do list, read some of my book, and got online to catch up, clean up my emails, and search for some new recipes.

The weather (and the gym being closed) meant I could actually cook dinner.  No reheating leftovers which was very nice.  So I baked a chicken breast, a potato, and steamed some broccoli and cauliflower.  YUM!!!
Overall, a really great day.  I guess this day was needed as much as I wanted to be at and missed work. 

As I sit here this evening watching The Biggest Loser I am enjoying my snack of an apple, a clementine, and two pieces of Dove dark chocolate.  Tonight's episode is the makeover show.  I love this episode.  I always end up crying.  Then again I cry pretty easily...lol.  Tonight it makes me think of the shopping trips I have made since losing the weight, buying that first black dress (I hadn't worn a dress in years - let along one in regular sizes, not PLUS), getting out of the plus sizes, picking out lots of vibrant colors, and wearing more form fitting clothing.
This was me in my little black dress last October after losing 100 pounds for my 40th birthday.  I remember this day like it was yesterday.  I felt so beautiful, so sexy, and so proud of all of the hard work that I had done to get to this point.  This is a constant reminder of where I have come, the progress that I have made, but also gives me motivation to keep going.  The possibilities are endless and it is truly in my hands to make it happen.  Damn, I need a tissue...

Tomorrow is weigh in day for week 3.  What shall it bring.  I guess we shall see...stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment