Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thank Goodness For The Gym


Yes, I love the gym...never did I think I would say that.  I would almost say that I am addicted...but what a wonderful addiction to have.  It is a place I look forward to going to each day.

From the first day I walked through that door, I was welcomed with big smiles and open arms.  I remember that first day like it was yesterday.  I was so nervous.  I had heard horror stories from people that were overweight (most less than I was) that told me that they hated the gym because people treated them like they were inferior.  I am so happy that I have never felt that way.  I have come across and have interacted with so many people, each one so friendly. 

Through the ups, down, struggles, successes my gym family has been there for me every step of the way.  I would not be where I am without their love, encouragement, and support. 

On great days, the gym makes them even better.  On tough days, the gym improves things greatly.

Today was one of those tough days.  It's been a really busy week, I haven't been sleeping that well, and there were some things that were upsetting me today.  There were moments this afternoon at work that even tears started flowing.  Thank goodness my desk is in a corner and I am back to my office mates.  It's amazing how I blow things out of proportion and let silly things get to me...I'm sure the lack of sleep played a great part in this emotional afternoon.  Visions of a fast food lunch were in my head, but fortunately I had packed a healthy lunch of salad with grilled chicken and some strawberries.  

At one point during the afternoon I had logged onto the website to sign up for my gym classes.  I was seriously considering canceling both of my classes for the night.  I just wanted to get out of work, go straight home (with more than likely a stop somewhere for a very unhealthy dinner), and crawl under my heated blanket and hide.  As I sat there and went back and forth in head on reasons to cancel, I kept thinking...NO, I can't do that.  The gym is exactly where I need to be.  So I didn't cancel, went about the rest of my work day, and got changed into my gym clothes. 

On the whole drive to the gym I kept thinking I am going to stop somewhere for dinner after class and have something completely bad for me.  Being an emotional eater, this is something I used to do quite often on those rough days.  I was thinking of all of the places on the way home and which one I would stop at and what I would pick up.

When I got to the gym it was a little early and class didn't start until 5:30.  I thought I would go stand in the hallway and wait.  As soon as I turned the corner, I noticed in the hallway my friend Gloria.  She greeted me with a smile.  No matter what the day held I couldn't help but smile back at her.  She could tell that I was having one of those days.  As we started talking I completely forgot about what had been bothering me and weighing heavily on my mind.  Aaaaahhhhh, thank goodness. 

Then I went into class and the instructor came up to me and gave me some literature on 5K training.  That was so very nice of her to do, and to think of me.  I couldn't help but give her a hug (thank goodness I wasn't sweaty yet...lol).  Thank you Karen!!!  She is just one of the most amazing group of class instructors at the gym.  They are so supportive, push you to want to do better things, and just make that hour so much more than just burning calories.

Two hours later (Booty Barre and Body Pump) I was sweaty, but feeling great.  A nice burn for the evening:
My previous thought of picking something up for dinner was still there but I decided it would be much better to go home and have dinner.  I had a few options, but since it was a really cold night and I needed some comfort food I chose something that wasn't a horrible choice. - tomato basil soup and a grilled cheese.  Very warm and hit the spot.
What could have been a disastrous (and calorie filled) night was turned around by a great evening at the gym...thank goodness!!!

A little bummed that I have to miss 6 AM Combat class tomorrow morning because I have an early doctor's appointment, but someone very wise reminded me that it is OK to take a day off once in a while.  I guess tomorrow is that day (well, minus my calendar exercises of course). 

Happy that tomorrow is Friday and the weekend is just around the corner.   :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! It's so hard to overcome bad days and urges we all have! I'm so glad you hit the gym instead of making a choice that you would later feel bad about!!!

    ReplyDelete