Saturday, January 18, 2014

Saturday - A Day of Good Things

I remember when there used to be a time that weekend mornings were for sleeping in as late as possible.  That time seems like forever ago.  Never did I think I would be setting an alarm clock on weekends to go to the gym.  Add this to the list I never thought I would be done, let alone like doing.

I lingered in bed a little too long this morning after the alarm went off at 7 AM because the bed was just way too comfy.  Doing this didn't give me enough time to make some breakfast so this morning my breakfast was eaten on the go on my way to the gym.  Glad I keep some of these biscuits in the pantry for those mornings I need something very quick.  This did the trick and helped give me energy for my workout.
Man, it was so cold this morning.  I felt like I couldn't be bundled up enough.  There are SO many positives to losing weight but this has definitely been a negative.  I have found that I am a lot colder than I ever used to be.  I guess losing the equivalent of a young child will do that.  I'm really hoping at some point I will acclimate and my body will get use to it, but I have had people say that doesn't happen and that I need to wear layers.

Awesome workout at the gym this morning.  I have to say Booty Barre class is a constant challenge.  No matter how many times you do the same moves (with different variations on occasion) I never walk out that class thinking "now that was a piece of cake".  Maybe this makes me weird, but I kinda like that.  You would your legs wouldn't shake as much, or you ass and standing leg would get better over time, but NOPE.  That being said, I do see improvements.  Like this morning during some leg exercises I could feel like I could move it back further.  Also, the ab portion didn't kill me like it did two weeks ago (just to be clear, it was still tough - don't want anyone especially my instructor thinking it was easy...lol).  I definitely think eating better has a little something to do with it.  I also enjoy seeing the same "regulars" in the class.  You are not only getting a great workout in but it is a little like a social hour as well.  I have met some of the most friendly, caring, supportive people at the gym.  I am so blessed to be able to call them friends.  Booty Barre class was followed by Body Pump.  With this new release I've been able to pretty much keep all my weights the same with the exception of the shoulder track.  This one just seems tough.  Maybe it's because you've already given yourself a pretty good workout and it is near the end but wow.  I actually had to skip a few reps today.  I was getting ready to leave the gym after class when the 10 AM Zumba class moved from the smaller room into where Pump was.  I haven't done Saturday Zumba for awhile but I thought today why not.  I'm so glad I stayed. 
I then stopped at Subway on the way home and picked up some lunch.  I probably could have found something at home but knew this wasn't a horrible choice.  Oven roasted chicken breast on whole wheat, some baked BBQ Lays, and I cut up an apple.  This definitely hit the spot after that workout.
After lunch I decided to do my two fitness calendars because I didn't want to get to the end of the day (again) and have to do them just before bedtime.  Today was 72 squats (I remember a day when I hated these things but when I see what they have done for my ass, I have grown to love them), 45 pushups (still doing them on my knees, but I'm occasionally trying a few on my toes, much better but not there yet), 45 side lunges with an upright row, and 45 plie calf raises.  Phew...all of that was another whole workout in itself.

I decided to treat myself to a late afternoon movie at the mall.  Normally I would get a small popcorn and a small soda (which really isn't that small) and a box of Buncha Crunch to throw on top of my popcorn.  I haven't been to the movies for awhile so I really wanted to enjoy a little bit of popcorn.  I am thankful that the theater that I go do has a "kids" pack.  This is a little bit of popcorn, a tiny drink, and a fun size package of skittles.  The popcorn was yummy and I threw away the skittles.

After the movies I decided to walk the mall for a little bit (always a good way to add some steps to the day).  I did some window shopping for something I have been putting a lot of thought into.  I have wanted to get something to be a symbol for this journey and my successes.  I think I figured it out.  I look forward to sharing what it is when the time comes.  I then went into the book store.  One of my goals for the year (yes, still working on them, not finished yet) it to try to read more.  Part of this includes trying to add not only books for entertainment purposes, but also ones to learn more.  Today's purchase was about learning more.  First, I wanted to learn more about this whole blogging thing.  I have seen so many peoples pages that have all kinds of bells and whistles and I have no idea how to do all this.  Maybe in time I can prettier it up more.  I also picked up a book that I have seen before and thought I would like to read that.  Since starting this journey and going through my Change To Win class at the hospital I've been like a sponge when it comes to reading about health and nutrition.  There are so many things out there and it's interesting to see different takes on things.
After the mall before heading home I thought I will stop and pick up some dinner.  The weekends are always tough because you don't have the same routine as you do during the week.  I've always found it so easy to stray on the weekends.  I have read in so many places that those people that were able to stick with a plan and have a continued success in the weight loss department meant eating the same on the weekends as you would during the week.  Something I need to work on.  Anyway, back to this evening.  I sat in parking lot of a local fast food place.  What seems like forever, but probably only about 10 minutes, I sat in my car and had a battle with myself.  Go in, don't go in, go in, don't go in.  After the 10 minutes I left the parking lot without dinner.  I came home and had a bowl of tomato basil soup, a toasted cheese sandwich, and a clementine.  SUCCESS!!!   :)



2 comments:

  1. holy cow, I just wrote you a really long comment and it didn't post, so if this ends up being a duplicate somehow I apologize!!!

    I love the way you write and think I might pick up the dummies book you did!!! I have always felt blogging is more to me than a hobby even if I don't do it as often!

    Glad you had an amazing workout day!! I REALLY want to get into some zumba classes! I also mentioned (in said disappearing post) that I love the weekends because it gives me more time to play in the kitchen! I'm proud you chose to not eat out and you went with something at home!!! *sorry it's not as detailed and exciting as the other post but I don't know what happened!!!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. This is definitely a learning process with this whole blog thing. I'm so used to writing it all in a private journal for my eyes only. I really thought that this would be a better way, I just have to remind myself to be as honest as I would be in private. I figured the book might be a great help, I would like to add some of the cool tools, buttons, and other stuff I see on others blogs.

      I have been reading yours as well since I saw you post it in the group. You have some great tools to help in your journey (I might try to adopt some of them if that is OK). Visuals are pretty important.

      I totally recommend Zumba. It is SO much fun!!!

      Delete