Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday - No Longer A Day of Rest

Sunday - that day that at one time used to be a day of rest has now turned into one of the most pretty important days of the week.  This has become the day that I take some time to plan the week ahead (or try to - some weeks I do this better than others).  If it is a productive day, I feel like I have given myself what I need to make it a successful week in this journey.

The day started out at the gym.  Today's classes on the schedule were Body Pump followed by Zumba.  I really love this combination.  First in pump, I challenge my muscles with the weight training and get the body warmed up.  Another reason to enjoy it, I usually have time before class to catch up with people and socialize.  I remember when I first started the gym, I pretty much kept to myself, did what I needed to do, and then left.  Now I have met so many wonderful people I love to talk to everyone, catch up on how everyone is doing, and talk about things.  A year ago this month when I finally decided to try my first fitness class (after much trepidation) I met one of the most friendly, caring, supportive people.  We immediately struck up a conversation.  Today I am still in class set up behind her, learning so much from her.  I consider her such a blessing.  After all, she got me to attend my first Zumba class, and now I can't get enough.  After Pump class I went straight into Zumba.  If you read other posts you know how I feel about Zumba.  I could go on and on and on about it forever.

My bad this morning I ran out of the apartment and forgot to grab some fruit so I didn't have anything to eat before classes.  Big mistake!!!  Half way through Zumba I hit the wall, but I pushed through.  It was still a good burn day.
After leaving the gym I wanted to stop and get groceries so I wouldn't have to go back out later in the day but I knew that would be a HUGE mistake since I hadn't eaten.  I have done this before and this would usually lead to putting lots of things into my grocery cart that I didn't need, a lot of impulse buys, and a lot of convenience foods.  So I drove home and got some lunch.  I figured I would clean up some leftovers in the fridge from the during the week.  I found a chicken breast, some whole grain rain and some veggies.
Before I got into the shower I figured I better get my exercise calendar(s) done and checked off for the day.  I have started some of these calendars in the past but always had a hard time finishing, not necessarily because I couldn't do them, but I would just forget to do a few days and then give up.  I'm so proud that I have kept up with both of these.  Some days have been difficult not thinking about it until very late in the evening (but I still got them done).
Went to the grocery store and restocked the fruit bowl, picked up some chicken, stuff for salad.  Really haven't made a plan for dinners this week but I have enough on hand that I should make good decisions for the week ahead.  In the coming weeks I want to clean out my freezer and use things up.  While getting groceries I knew there would be football games on today.  In the "old days" that would mean ordering pizza and wings, making nachos, and getting frozen appetizers (mozzarella sticks, potato skins, pretzels, etc.).  I knew this was not an option today.  But I knew I could still enjoy some pizza but just in a different way (and much better for me).  Some whole wheat english muffins, pizza sauce,  reduced fat mozzarella, ham, onion, and different colored peppers.  They tasted great and filled that urge and craving without a lot of the guilt.
While watching football I was working on my some of my to do list.  As I look at the calendar and see that it is the 19th (man is this month flying by) I really need finish my goals for the year.  As I was working on it I got some serious anxiety.  On the top of my unfinished list is to train, enter, run, and finish my first 5K this year.  Like everything else I have never tried, I really have serious doubts.  I have never really been a runner and this scares me.  Can I do this?  Will I hurt myself?  Is my body ready for it?  So many questions.  Each day I think this is the day I need to start working on it but then I talk myself out of it.  My excuses include - I'm not ready, I need to lose more weight first, if I injure myself I will completely wreck everything I am working for, and the list goes on and on and on.  I really need to get over this fear.  I need to remind myself of all of the other things I have tried in the last year and know that I do this too.  I just have to do it right and everything should fall into place.  I CAN DO THIS!!!  I'm thinking I need to talk to somebody and get some help and perspective and come up with a plan.  Maybe with a plan, addressing my fears I will feel much better about it and can give it my all.  I found this and thought it was perfect:
My two weaknesses today - my water and fruit consumption.  Both tend to be difficult on the weekends.  While I am at work during the week I am constantly sipping on water (and heading to the bathroom...lol).  Add on the top of that the water I consume during and after my workouts and I don't have a problem reaching my ideal water levels.  On the weekends I get busy and don't think about until I get thirsty.  Maybe I need to get myself a special bottle for weekends and carry this around with me as a reminder.  As far as the fruit, fruit usually comes during the my snacking periods during the week.  I tend not to do a lot of snacks during the weekend, again because I just get busy and don't do it.  So while I am writing in my blog this evening I am getting in a couple of servings of fruit (a clementine, a few strawberries, along with a little treat of some dark chocolate).
I love these little Dove dark chocolates.  It gives me a little treat and sometimes offers up a pretty good message.  One of the ones I opened today was perfect:
There are always tough days, but I always try to bring sunshine to others.  You never know if that little bit of sunshine could make a difference in someone's life.

I will finish with the prayer that was in my devotional book for today.  A wonderful friend gave this book for this Christmas.  It is a daily book of devotions.  Each day of year - a bible verse, a message, and a prayer.  This has been one of the most wonderful gifts.  I feel like this has been a very important part in this journey and I look forward to each new day that it brings.






No comments:

Post a Comment