Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Recap of the Week That Was

The week started on Monday with a pretty normal day, well sort of.  Work has been pretty busy.  We are implementing some new changes in my department and it's been challenging.  Because of the new things and some other things beyond my control I've been spending a lot more time than normal pitching in and helping to keep the department afloat.  Over the weekend I had spend a good part of weekend at home doing work, it needed to be done.  Monday was pretty much a continuation of the weekend.  I don't think I touched my work all day.  But at the end of day I felt like great progress was being made a game plan was being formed to prepare for the future.  I left work feeling pretty good.  After struggling through my fitness classes at the gym on Sunday morning I debated on whether or not to take Zumba class on Monday night.  I am still dealing with this stupid inner ear thing and the dizziness hasn't gone away.  It's not horrible all of the time, but when it does come around...wow.  But I just couldn't miss it not only because it just such a fun class but I knew I would see one of my friends in class.  I made it through.  Food-wise, it was a good day.

Tuesday was one of those days that just flew by.  Typically my weekly schedule includes 6 AM Body Combat class with Megan at the gym.  I really wasn't feeling up to it.  I also knew I would missing some time at work today, so I figured it was best to get an early start at the office.  It was a very productive day...very nice to work on my own stuff for the day.  Usually lunch involves staying in, but I had a lunch date with a great friend that I have met through the gym and my support group.  It was nice to get out, enjoy a nice lunch, and more importantly catch up and enjoy some wonderful conversation.  I have such a great support system of people in my life but there are times that you just feel like people really don't understand what you are struggling with/going through.  I am so thankful that this person has been brought into my life at this time in my life.  Our lives parallel in so many ways and she is on her own amazing journey.  I fee like we were meant to meet and help each other through this process.  This lunch date was much needed and well timed.  After an afternoon of work, I left early to go to the Demo and Dine night at the hospital (see previous blog post regarding the evening).  It was nice to have another lady that I met in my support group sit with me at the demo, made it an ever better evening.

Wednesday was a rough start.  I woke up to my entire room spinning.  I tried and couldn't even get out of bed.  So I laid in bed a little longer than normal.  Fortunately I felt a little better and was able to get, get ready, and head to work.  Boy, was I thankful that I had fixed my salad for lunch the night before.  Unfortunately in my running late and hurry to get to work on time I left behind my gym bag at the apartment so I had to miss Zumba class that evening after work.  I figured maybe it was a sign that I needed to take another day off from exercising.  Breakfast and lunch this day was filled with good choices, but dinner was an entirely different story.  Because I wasn't feeling good I just stopped and got fast food to take home.  I knew it was the wrong thing to do, but I just wanted to eat and crawl into bed.

Thursday was another rough day.  This dizziness thing is right down annoying.  Besides the dizziness I feel great.  I've been even checking my blood pressure to make sure it's not too high or low and it has been pretty good.  I just don't know anymore.  I really don't want to go back to the doctor.  I really wish she just would have given me an antibiotic that first time I went to see her, but oh well.  The prescription she gave me for the dizziness is nice, expect it makes me really sleepy, so I haven't been taking it during the day.  It certainly has been making the work days tough but I have been fighting through it.  There just is no time to worry about it, I have things to do.  I'm just hoping it is going to take time, but it will go away.  I was dizzy so much all day but I still made the day productive.  Fortunately I have a desk job, and as long as I stayed where I was it was pretty good.  But those moments I had to move around...wow.  I knew the way I was feeling I was going to have to cancel my classes at the gym for the night.  This really depressed me.  After all, this is one of my favorite nights.  I love the combination of the double of Booty Barre and Body Pump.  It had been three weeks since I have taken Booty Barre because of the dizziness/other engagements/weather cancelling class.  Thankfully I did go home and had leftovers of a few things I had made the previous Sunday.  Definitely made a much better choice.

Friday morning once again I missed 6AM Body Combat class.  I really hate missing this class.  I love that early morning workout but knew how much I needed good balance to be in that class.  I took my gym bag and thought maybe when I got out of work I would just go into the gym for a little bit before closing and just get some treadmill time in.  I also knew it was going to be another busy day in the office, and it was.  It was a pretty emotional day too.  If you ever had a friendship that just ended abruptly with no reasons you know how hard it can be to run into that person again.  Try working with them every day.  After time I had to come to the realization it was what it was.  But because we have to work together each day, it can have it's challenging days.  This person is going through some medical issues and is going to be out of the office for a while.  Well, because of my position I need to be responsible for her duties and fill in for her.  So the day started with checking to see how she was doing.  Apparently it is all overwhelming which I understand.  Anyway it ended with us both in tears.  I struggled with what to say because of the lost friendship.  In the end, whether the right thing or not, I went with my heart.  I really felt much better.  Then came the end of the day...and I was agitated and that is all I will say.  I will just chock it up to a busy day and move on.  It ended up being a late evening in the office so I didn't make it to the gym before it closed.  Food...not great.  Went to Wendy's for lunch.  I could have made better choices, chicken sandwich and fries.  Dinner was chinese take out and some chocolate.  Not a great day but it is only one day.

Saturday morning I woke up and thought this dizziness is NOT going to win today.  I am going to get in a good workout.  So I took some meds, got dressed, tied up my sneakers, had a blueberry muffin and a banana, and headed to the gym.  I knew this wouldn't be my normal Saturday schedule.  Usually my Saturday morning is Booty Barre followed by Body Pump, and then sometimes if I am up for it Zumba.  Lately it has just been the first two.  I was on the wait list for Pump class so I knew I would have a free hour in between classes.  Picture was taken at the gym before class started.

I gotta be honest, I was pretty scared about Booty Barre.  Since I haven't taken it for three weeks I thought I would struggle with it.  It is a killer class, and hurts so good.  I was so happy that it went much better than I thought it would.  Maybe that time away wasn't such a horrible thing.  It was also nice to run into people that I haven't seen for a while.  It was nice to know that I was missed and worried about.  I have said this again, but I love my supportive gym family.  With time to kill before Zumba class started, I got onto the treadmill and walked a bit.  Seemed weird to go out into the machine area of the gym.  Kinda makes me think that maybe I should be balancing my workouts more, and spending a little more time out there.  It's funny, I have actually been called (jokingly, of course) a "class snob".  After the treadmill time was a fun Zumba class.  It was a great calorie burn day.
By the time I came home I was beat.  I'm guessing it was the meds that were making me sleepy.  I had some leftovers for lunch and then took a nap.

Sunday morning made day two in a row back to the gym.  Since I got back into town early before class started I got in some treadmill time before class.  Today was Body Pump followed by Zumba.  Had some rough spots, had a rough time keeping my balance during the lunge track but fought through it.  I decided not to take any meds today because there were things I wanted to get done today and knew if I did I would waste the day napping.  Another great workout.
One the way home from the gym I stopped at the market and got some groceries.  I felt like I got a little carried away with the veggies.  Every time I saw something I put it in my cart.  After I got home I thought I hope I can eat all this before it goes bad. 

 I spent the afternoon and evening cooking and prepping for the week ahead.  I baked some marinated chicken breasts, roasted some baby carrots, made mashed rutabagas, mashed cauliflower, and some steamed broccoli.

I had been craving some pasta lately so I figured this was the week to have some before I try to be more mindful of my carbs starting in March.  So I also made a chopsuey with some lean ground beef, heart healthy tomato soup, not salt added diced tomatoes, and some shells.
I then got all the stuff ready for my lunches this week by cutting up all the stuff for my salads.  This will make getting lunch ready so much quicker and more more efficient.  Additions to my salad this week (along with chicken and some reduced fat cheese).  I decided to mix up my salad greens this week and go with baby romaine and baby spinach.  My add ins are full of colors and crunch which makes for a great and interesting salad.  It's funny I am told my salads look professional and I could make money selling them...lol.  I do though have to remember this week to bring my own real fork to work and leave one in my desk.  Every day last week I broke at least one fork while eating my salad.  This weeks add ins:  shredded carrots, european cucumbers, baby tomatoes, peppers (red, yellow, and orange), red onion, broccoli, and cauliflower.

So then since I had everything out I figured I might as well make my salad for tomorrow, one less thing I have to do when getting ready for work in the morning.  I usually pack my chicken separate.  I like to reheat it in the microwave and put warm chicken atop my salad.  I think it makes it taste so much better.
I cleaned up all my dishes, put away all of my leftovers and prepped food, and then put away my fruit in my wonderful fruit bowl (it's really a trifle bowl, but I choose to use it for fruit).  Those who know me best know my love of penguins....while it may be more for during the holidays, this thing is used year round.  Best fruit bowl ever...
I feel like I have taken the steps I need to make it a successful week ahead.  I have signed up for all my classes, have my support group meeting this week, and have a really busy week ahead at work.  Planning is truly key for me.  There is always something to throw a wrench in things, but I am going to try my best to keep on track and not let any stresses or emotions get the better of me.  As far as this dizziness, I'm hoping that this is the week that goes away, but I am not going to let it stop me this week like it has the last few weeks.  This month may have been challenging but I want to head into March ready to move forward with my journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment