Friday, October 3, 2014

Wellness Ambassador


 A few months ago I received a call from someone at the local hospital here informing me that someone had nominated me as a wellness ambassador.  I have to say I was quite surprised.  During the call I was interviewed and asked some questions based on the six dimensions of wellness:

SIX DIMENSIONS OF WELLNESS: (National Wellness Institute)

Social Wellness encourages contributing to one’s environment and community. 

Emotional Wellness recognizes awareness and acceptance of one’s feelings. 

Spiritual Wellness recognizes our search for meaning and purpose in human existence.

Occupational Wellness recognizes personal satisfaction and enrichment in one’s life through work.

Intellectual Wellness recognizes one’s creative, stimulating mental activities. 

Physical Wellness recognizes the need for regular physical activity.  Physical development  

        encourages learning about diet and nutrition while discouraging the use of tobacco, drugs and 

        excessive alcohol consumption.
I was told that each month a person would be chosen from those that have been nominated.  I thought to myself it was so thoughtful for someone to nominate me.  I'm sure there are plenty of deserving people in the area and to just be nominated was an honor.  I had asked if I could be told who nominated me and I was told no, which is fine, but it would be nice to know who thought of me in such a way.  I was told is was more than one person who nominated me.  So, thank you to those that nominated me.....I don't know who you are, but it means a great deal.
I had forgotten about this with a busy summer, lots of bike riding, vacation, and so on. 
A couple of weeks ago I got a phone call telling me that I had been picked as this months wellness ambassador.  It really took me by surprise.  Honestly my first thought was that I didn't deserve it.  After all lately I hadn't been feeling all too great, have been in a funk, and wasn't really feeling like someone people would be inspired by, look up to, or see as a mentor...let alone an ambassador.  I almost told the person from the hospital that I didn't deserve it.  But the more I thought about it I knew it was right to accept it.  A little funk, a setback, and some other stuff does not reflect or dismiss this journey that I have been on, what I have accomplished and learned.  This journey and lifestyle change that started a few years ago was for me and my benefit but to know that through my journey I have touched someone else's life and made an impact enough for them to nominate me truly touched me.
With being chosen me and my story is promoted and publicly recognized through the hospital, their facebook page Western Maryland Health Systems, a link on their website Western Maryland Health Systems, and some local radio spots.

Another perk of winning this award, you get $100.  I wondered what I was going to do with this...treat myself with someone, put in the bank and save it for something.  With my walk coming up this month for breast cancer Making Strides of Western Maryland,  I decided to donate my winnings to the cause.  I couldn't think of anything better to do with it.

I have had such amazing feedback from those around me when finding out about this accomplishment.  It really warms my heart to know how much my journey has touched people, influenced them, and so on.  I have also found through this process I have lots of "silent stalkers".  I have had people tell me that I love keeping up with what you are doing.  I don't like your posts or comments but I love hearing about how things are going.  I don't do this to get attention, likes, comments.  Honestly if no one every liked or commented but felt the way I have heard some people tell me that they do, that means so much more than any like I could ever get on facebook (but for those of you that do like and comment I appreciate you just as much).  Whether visible or invisible, I appreciate the love and support through this journey and the continued journey.

Still not back to normal self yet and still trying to find my groove and confidence back (and hoping for some much needed closure in a private matter), but I know I will get there.  I also know there will always be the occasional rough day, but hopefully as time goes on I will learn to deal with them better, not let them get the better of me, and maybe just maybe someday that dreaded "emotional eating" will not rear it's ugly head.  Like anyone else that has ever struggled with weight, food addiction, and emotional eating.....there will never be that perfection.  It is what is is, I am what I am (flaws and all), and every setback there is something to be learned, something to hopefully make me do better the next time.  This journey is truly a marathon and not a sprint, something that I will continue on and yes struggle with from now until all the rest of the days of my life.  I can only hope and pray that my bad days become fewer and farther between.

It's been a busy week and I still need to work on a post to talk about October but it has been a busy week at work with month and quarter end.  Hopefully a new post will come in the next day or say but I needed to take some time to do this post.

For all of you out there that have been with through this journey....you have my love.  I know that this has been me and I have done all the hard work, but there is no way I could have done it without each and every one of you....your like, your comment, your private message, your encouragement, your shoulder, your ear, the occasional hug.  I know I have said this before but I will say it again and forevermore.  Whether near or far, in person or virtually.....I am truly blessed with the love and support.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment