Saturday, May 24, 2014

Biking....a new love

Wednesday I looked ahead at the forecast for the long weekend ahead and saw how beautiful it was going to be here.  I knew one thing for sure.....I was going to do my very best to get lots of biking in.

Thursday night after work I went to the last biking class.  This was actually a make up class for those that couldn't attend one of the other four weeks.  I didn't need to go because I had already "graduated" the week before but I wanted to go check it out and see what was going on.  I'm so glad I did.  It was tire changing week again.  I didn't bring my bike but I stood back and watched others, plus also listened to our instructors and got some more great tips to put in the memory bank.  It's nice to learn things that could actually help you, although honestly I really hope I never have to change my tire on the trail or road.  That being said, it is good to know that I can probably do it, even though it might take me awhile.  So, finishing the class means that the hospital pays for my membership into the Western Maryland Wheelmen, a local biking group.  The members that I have met through the class seem great, so helpful.  They do a lot of group rides and I'm looking forward to participating in some of them as I work on getting more miles on my bike, getting more experience, hopefully picking up some speed and working on my stamina to do longer rides and with more climbs.  After class the instructor asked me if I would be interested in being a trail ambassador.  This is a group that works to promote the trail, monitor the trail, and provide information and assistance to those on the trail.  I am definitely interested.  It would be so cool to be a trail ambassador.

So, last Friday was National Bike To Work Day.  I was all set to participate in this with a few co-workers but then (during my bike class the night before) I found that my rear tire on my bike had a split in it.  So I had to cancel and get a new tire.  I was pretty bummed about this.  But because it seems like some of my co-workers are getting bit by the biking bug I think this is something we are going to do from time to time.  On Friday, I drove into town to meet everyone.  I would love to be able to bike from home, but that is impossible (well, at least for now).  We left from the train station and biked to work.  It was 3.38 miles to to the office.  A nice little stroll.  My legs were feeling a little rough.  I had taken my regular Friday morning 6 AM Body Combat class at the gym.  Good idea or not, I love starting my Friday morning with Combat.  Obviously riding the bike to work meant I would also be riding it back to the train station after work.  Was looking forward to this after a busy day.  But I was nervous....the ride down Dakota street meant I would have to ride up Dakota street to get back on the trail.  It is pretty steep.  It kept telling myself it was OK if I had to walk the bike up the hill.  I got to Dakota street and completely psyched myself out and didn't get the bike in the right gear....YUP, I had to walk up the hill.  We will tackle that hill another time.  After getting back to the train station one of my co-workers and I decided to get a few extra miles and ride on the C&O side of the trail (heading to Washington DC).  Nice little ride.  I will have to check on that side of the trail again.

Saturday morning brought a tough decision.....head to the gym for some awesome classes or get out on the trail.  I guess I could have done both, but I figured if I wanted to get a good ride in I should try to focus on that.  So for now, I think Saturday's (unless something else is going on) is going to be my push myself bike ride day.  If it rains though....gym day it is (after all, the gym has awesome classes on Saturday, well everyday but you know what I mean).

Got my stuff together, loaded the bike, and headed into town to the train station.  I really had to plans other than to get on the trail and ride for awhile.  Had no goals for the day.  While I was unloading my bike, a guy came up to me and asked me if I had been on the trail before and if I had been to Frostburg.  I told him I haven't been that far yet and that is was 16 miles to get there.  He thanked me and I started my ride.  I was about 3 miles into the ride when this guy came up and was riding beside me on the trail.  He asked me if I was going to Frostburg today.  I told him it really wasn't something I was planning to do.  He said "C'mon....you can do it.  I'll see you up there" and with that he passed me and took off.  I thought to myself "this is the day you are going to make it to Frostburg".  I kept seeing him in my view and thought "I think I can, I think I can".  I got to Cash Valley Road and thought nope, this isn't happening.  I just wasn't feeling it.  But I thought let's at least go to the Brush Tunnel and see how I feel.  While taking a break after going through the tunnel I met a group that was going from Cumberland to Pittsburgh.....what a great challenge that would be.  Someday!!!!  They were very friendly.  After talking to them I thought I'm ready to keep going, maybe not to Frostburg, but I can go further.  I made some pretty good progress and got to Woodcock Hollow.  There are benches there so I figured it was a good time to have a seat.  I had brought an apple so I parked my bike, grabbed my water, and snacked on my apple.  While sitting there a lady came up that I had passed a few miles earlier on the trail.  We struck up a conversation.  She was a retired schoolteacher from New York.  She had been down here before on the trail and keeps coming back because she loves it.  She was with a friend that was behind her and was taking a break to let her catch up.  I really didn't plan on stopping that long, but was so glad I did.  I found out she has completed the C&O side of the trail (Washington DC to Cumberland).  I thought to myself I would love to be able to do this after I retire (which I know is a really, really long ways away, but something to strive for and keep healthy for).  After my snack, water break, and conversation, it was time to keep moving. 

About a mile into this leg, I ran into the guy I met at the beginning that challenged me to make it to Frostburg.  He was stretching his legs and taking a break.  As I rode by he said "you got this" and "I'll see you later".  He eventually passed me (must be nice to have longer legs...lol).  I kept him in my sights for a little bit but then he was gone again.  I don't remember what mile it was but I was feeling a water stop and as I did I heard Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Train coming.  So I stopped to watch it go by.  That was awesome and everybody on the train was waving.

I had my Map My Ride app on and it tells you as you reach each mile.  When it said Mile 13 I knew I was getting close.  Mile 13 is where I stopped the first time and decided it was time to turn around.  I was feeling pretty good and thought even if I don't make it all the way at least I will have made it further than the last time.  Mile 14 turned into Mile 15.  It then hit me, I am going to make it to Frostburg.  I started to cry (for those that know me, no big surprise).  As I started riding my bike a month ago I had made this my goal to do by the end of the summer.  Even then I really didn't know if it was something I could do, I tend to not give myself enough credit.  So I had a nice cry for about half a mile then I looked up and who did I see....the guy that challenged me.  He had made it Frostburg and was on the way back.  On his way by he said "You're almost there" and "I'll see you back in Cumberland".  At that moment the tears turned into a big smile and I pushed that last half mile.  Finally, I made it to Frostburg.  I took a few moments to soak in, drink some water, turn around, and head back down to Cumberland.

The great part about the ride up it most definitely the return trip at a decline.  I started Cumberland at 610 feet and was at 1,865 feet in Frostburg (that's a nice little incline).  I could have coasted back down but I decided to push and pedal all the way down.  A pretty quick return trip.

I made it back to Cumberland (31.28 miles - my longest ride yet).  As I was getting back to my car the guy that challenged me was there waiting for me.  He congratulated me on getting there and back and asked me if I was in a hurry to leave.  He said a beer was on him to celebrate.  I thought why not.  So we went over to The Crabby Pig and had a beer and chatted.  Steve (finally knew "that guys" name) come to find out was from Nova Scotia.  I was so excited to hear that.  We had a really nice conversation, a beer, and exchanged emails.




After coming home, dropping off the bike and getting a shower, I went out and ran some errands, and picked up some things for dinner.  Spend the rest of the day getting some things done around the apartment and making dinner....baked Italian marinated chicken thighs, brown rice, and roasted brussel sprouts.
Tomorrow promises to be another good day.  The morning will start with classes at the gym.  I debated on canceling knowing there will be a bike ride, but since my ride tomorrow will be with Karen and be more relaxing and casual, I know I can get in some gym time.  Besides, it is Danny's last Sunday morning Zumba class, and I hate to miss that.  I am so going to miss him but am so excited for him making the big change to move to New York City.  They will be very lucky to have him up there.  I'll have a couple of hours in between and then I will Karen at the trail in Deal.  I think we are going to head towards Myersdale.  I told her we will go as far as she wants.

So, I guess it is time to call it a day and get some sleep before another busy day tomorrow.

Goodnight!







1 comment: