Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Conquering Dakota

Can you believe it....a during the week post plus I just posted a couple of days ago.  Maybe I'm going to get better at this whole blog posting more often thing...ha ha ha.  Don't start holding your breath.  Today just felt like a post worthy day.

Sunday evening was a great night sleep which was a rare thing over the weekend.  When the alarm went off at 5 AM my first thought was to turn over and enjoy a couple more hours of sleep but I wanted to try to start the week off on the right foot.  So I got up, got ready, and headed to the gym.  If I got there when they opened at 5:30 I would have time to get a workout in and then come home and get ready to work.  On the plus side, I had made two days worth of salad so that was one less thing that I had to do in the morning.  I spent an hour on the treadmill.  Usually a fast walk, I was pretty happy that this morning I was able to slow jog (or as I call it slog) for 30 of my 60 minutes. 
 That's the most I have done at one time and I felt pretty good.  My knees were feeling great.  So I finished my workout, went home, showered and got ready for work.  I even made time to make breakfast, and no not a bowl of cereal.  I had a couple of eggs, a couple of turkey sausage patties, and half of a flatout.  Good to know that if I can plan ahead, have my lunch already made, and no loiter in the morning, I can have the time to make a good hot breakfast.


So I got to work and the day was going well until a couple of hours in.  A wicked bad headache was setting in, to the point it was making me sick to my stomach.  Automatically I knew what it is.....that damned time of the month.  Really????  Mother nature was going to screw with my plan to get things back on track this week.  I fought through the work day, managed to make it as productive as possible.  At 3:30 though I hit a wall.  It was getting harder and harder to focus and concentrate and with the glare coming from my computer screen, I had had enough.  I was really hoping I could fight through it because Monday was Zumba night.  I had also decided that I was going to try to do Combat class afterwards but I knew there was no way I was going to be able to do it.  So I ended up canceling my classes, went home, and crawled into bed.  I dozed off for a couple of hours, got up and felt a little better.  I had a little bite to eat, called Dad, and went to bed early.  No time on the computer or FB that night.

Tuesday morning my alarm went off again at 5 AM.  My head was feeling so much better, but not feeling my finest or at 100%.  But I have found that during that time of the month even though sometimes it is hard to fight through, I know unless it is one of those days that I can barely function (which you never know when it is going to happen), I tend to get some relief and feel a little better when I am exercising.  I had already taken lunch to work the day before so I knew I didn't have to worry about that.  I had also taken my bike to work on Monday.  I like keeping my bike at the office during the week.  That way I know it is already there and makes it easier to decide to do those short morning rides before work.  So I got up, got dressed, and packed a bag with some work clothes and another change of clothes for a bike ride and headed out.  Tuesday morning is Fusion class with Megan which is a mix of Body Pump and Body Combat.  I love the combination.  Had a good class, showered, changed into my biking clothes, and was going to head to the office to get my bike.  But I was starving.  I hadn't had any breakfast yet, and the only thing I had packed was some oatmeal and I knew that wasn't going to cut it, especially if I was also going to do a bike ride.  I had some time so I actually stopped at Bob Evans and enjoyed a nice breakfast...scrambled eggs, sausage patties, home fries, and wheat toast.  YUM!!!  That hit the spot and I didn't feel like I was eating horribly.

I got to work around 8AM.  My co-worker Mark was already there and had already left on his bike so I knew I was on my own.  I figured I would just head down to the canal and back, just a little short cruise.  I am thankful the GAP trail is not very far from the office.  You have to ride on the road a little, but then you are there.  However, to get on the trail you have to go up Dakota Avenue....this wonderful hill.  Since I started riding from work I have probably been on Dakota 30 plus times.  Each time walking up the hill until I get to the trail.  There have been days where I start riding up and think I'm going to make it today and for whatever reason (my brain says no, my body says no, a car comes down the hill, I start in the wrong gear, etc.) I never make it up.  Today I really hadn't thought much about it but before I knew it I was halfway up the hill.  That little voice in my head said "OK, now is about the time you give up".  I thought no way, not today, I AM going to make it all the way.  And I did!!!  Once I got to the trail, my heart was beating like crazy, my legs were like rubber, and yes I started to cry.  I made it!!!  My first thought...oh no, no one was here to witness it.  UGH!!!  After taking a few moments to gather myself and get my heart rate down and legs working properly, I went on my ride before work.  I got around 7.5 miles in.

Work was work....numbers, numbers, numbers, rec sheets, blah, blah, blah.

The weather today was BEAUTIFUL and I had originally signed up for gym classes.  But Tuesday night the Western Maryland Wheelmen do a couple of rides, one on the road and one on the GAP.  I haven't yet made a Tuesday night ride.  Every other week is my weight management support group at the hospital and every week I haven't had my group it has rained.  I knew I needed to cancel my gym classes and get outside for a ride.  So glad I did.  The ride starts from the Canal.  I debated on driving my car down but I knew I wanted to leave my bike at the office for a ride tomorrow morning so I figured I would just ride down from the office.  So, for the second time of the day I faced Dakota and I made it up without stopped or walking again.  While this may not happen every day, today just seemed like the perfect day and I felt really accomplished.  I know it's just a little hill, but I tend to get in my own head and tell myself I can't do things.  The fact that I did it twice in one day and given I wasn't feeling fabulous I was pretty happy.

It was nice to some familiar faces and lots of new ones down at the Canal.  I even got a hug which is always nice.  There were so many more people going out for the road ride.  I thought someday I will join the road ride, maybe next year with a road bike, but until then I joined the GAP ride.  I enjoy this ride but I must admit I really wasn't feeling the incline after going up Dakota again and feeling all crampy and icky.  But I told myself just go a little ways and then you go back to your car.  I figure I need to do this ride at least once a week from now until the charity ride.  I would like to be able to improve on my Cumberland to Frostburg time on the day of the charity ride.  I started off riding with a couple of ladies that I met but eventually I ended up passing them both and was riding by myself.  I made it past Dakota, Manteo, Cash Valley, the Brush Tunnel, and was still going.  It's normally a two hour ride but I wasn't sure if there was spot that they usually went to.  There was a couple of people that were ahead of me.  I thought if I see them coming back, I will turn around and head back.  A couple of the wheelemen that were doing the ride were behind me and staying in the back to stick with those pulling up the rear.  I really like and appreciate that they do this.  It can be pretty intimidating to join a ride with seasoned veterans and worry that you are going to hold people up or not keep up.  They really welcome everyone and want you to be comfortable and really just get out there and ride.  I knew I was getting to a point where I was ready to turn around and all of a sudden I heard people coming up behind me.  Then I heard "you're almost there, just right around the corner".  I went from I'm done, to I can finish this.  I kicked it into another gear and pushed to get to Woodcock Hollow.  It felt good to make it to the regular turnaround spot.  I rested for a little bit and then made the decline ride back, which of course is always the best part.  Usually the wheelmen meet at a local restaurant and have dinner.  I really wanted to do this but I knew I had already had dinner made, am trying to keep with my plan (although this is going to be difficult in the next few days given that TOM), and I knew I needed to make my lunch for the next couple of days so I could avoid going out and getting something else (more than likely unhealthy) for lunch.
During this time I tend to get two very big craving.....chocolate and salty.  I knew I didn't have any chips in the apartment (phew) but when I opened the fridge to get the stuff to make my salads I was reminded of a purchase I had made a few weeks ago while on a trip to Sam's Club in Altoona.  I like to keep some dark chocolate in the house for when I have a chocolate craving but usually I buy the package of individually wrapped Dove dark chocolates.  I didn't do that this time.  This is what was in my fridge -
So after dinner of course I had to have one.  I may have to find someplace to hide these for the next couple of days.  At least it is dark chocolate and that is good for you?????

Allright, I should be going to bed, gotta get some sleep (lots of fresh air tonight so hopefully a good night's sleep).  Up again early tomorrow.  Either some gym time then a bike ride or just a bike ride before work.  Lunch is ready in the fridge, gym bag and clothes for work packed, so nothing much to do in the AM besides get my ass out of bed and moving. 

A good day.....Goodnight!!!   :)


No comments:

Post a Comment