Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Demo and Dine Night/Hospital and Community Resources

Tonight was the third installment of the first series of WMHS's Demo and Dine.  Hosted by Brenda (one of the many great dieticians on staff at the hospital - I met her while taking Change to Win, and she is great) and Chef Pete (a chef at the hospital) this is great mix of cooking, tasting, knowledge, and even some fun.  This was originally scheduled for last November but had to be cancelled and was rescheduled to tonight.  Tonight's focus was on using more fruits and veggies in your meals.  After the first two, I was pretty excited about this.  I remember the first was eating healthy on a budget I think and produced a chili recipe that I have since tried at home (and love).  The second night was all about fish (the menu is above on the flyer).  I will be the first to admit I have always tried to avoid fish.  While I have always loved seafood (lobsters, clams, shrimp, scallops, and even crab - since moving to Maryland), fish has always been something I turned my nose up at.  Every time I thought about fish I would think about the stuff that Dad would catch and bring home to clean.  The smell along made me want to stay as far away from fish as possible.  Fortunately in the last year I have given fish a second chance and overall it hasn't disappointed.  I haven't yet made anything yet I had that night, but I definitely plan on it.  The tilapia and salmon was awesome.  Knowing how to prepare the fish is half the battle.

Anyway, back to tonight...fruits and veggies (loved these posters that Brenda had up)


First course - Two Bean Soup with Kale.  While I have tried both Kale and beans I really don't eat them both very often.  I have steamed Kale before and also Kale chips...have enjoyed them both.  As far as the beans,  I have added beans to my salad before and had the black beans in that chili I was talking about done in a previous demo and dine.  Both are things I would like to add into my diet more, I just need to find new ways and recipes to use them.  This is also why I enjoy the demo and dines.  I can always look at a a recipe and think "that looks really good" but then I usually don't try it because I'm afraid I won't like it.  Trying a recipe and liking it makes me more apt to actually make it myself.  I know I need to take more chances and try new things and recipes...something I need to work on.  Anyway, back to the soup.  It was awesome.  Loved the flavor, and the kale and beans gave it a nice consistency.   Two-Bean Soup with Kale (My Recipe)
Second course - Vegetable Quesadilla/Garden Fresh Tomato & Avocado Salad.  While I have always enjoyed quesadillas usually it involves chicken and or steak, maybe some veggies, and of course lots of cheese.  With that usually comes lots of sour cream too.  Tastes great, yes....but maybe not the healthiest.  What was made tonight was a great and healthier alternative.  Made on a whole what tortilla, it was filled with red pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, and mushrooms.  A great mix of veggies.  Combined with reduced fat cheese and some spices, this was a great overall flavor.  Honestly I didn't even miss there not being a protein in there.  This could easily become a "Meatless Monday" meal.  With it was the salsa.  I will tell you I am scared of avocado and honestly I've never really given it much of a try.  The only time I have ever had it was in a guacamole (and I didn't like it).  For that reason I just assumed I wouldn't like them and have never tried them since.  This salsa might make me rethink this.  I really enjoyed it, and it went well with the quesadilla.  This will definitely be made again...I could even see this being something I do for Super Bowl Sunday.   Vegetable Quesadilla (All Recipes)
Garden Fresh Tomato & Avocado Salsa (Meal Makeover Moms)

Third Course - Pasta Primavera and Sweeeeet Brussels Sprouts.  While I have always loved pasta I would have never thought to add lots of veggies to it.  Any veggies I had would usually be in the jarred sauce.  I would occasionally add broccoli or peas to my chicken alfredo but that's about it.  This was a great mix of pasta and veggies (asparagus - my first time trying, carrot, snow peas, and onions).  As great as this was and tasted it makes me think that I could really play with this recipe and add so many other veggies to this - whatever may be in the fridge at the time).  Then, there was the brussel sprouts.  While others there tonight have never tried them before, I must say this is one of my favorite vegetables.  No matter what you do with them, you can't go wrong.  I was intrigued with this recipe, given the addition of bacon and maple syrup.  But I must say....YUM!!!  While roasted will probably always be my favorite way to make them, I think I will trying them at home this way again.
Pasta Primavera (My Recipes)
Sweeeeet Brussels Sprouts (Meal Makeover Moms)

Last but not least dessert  - Gingersnap Pumpkin Custard.  Anyone who knows me knows I pretty much love anything pumpkin.  Between the gingersnaps, pumpkin, and walnuts I was happy.  A great sweet treat but I didn't feel like I was overindulging.  Will definitely be adding this to my pumpkin recipe catalog.
Year-Round Gingersnap Pumpkin Custard (Well-Fed Heart)

Overall, a wonderful evening, great food.  So happy they are continuing this Demo and Dine thing.  There are three more scheduled for February, March, and April and I have already signed up for them all.  Well worth the $15 per class (or $40 by doing all three). 



This now leads me into the second part of my title.  I don't live in a small town but I wouldn't consider myself being in a huge metropolis either, but I must say I am so impressed at what my local hospital does with their programs involving health, wellness, and the community.  I'm so glad I was introduced to these things. 

For me, this all started after being put on my blood pressure meds.  I asked my doctor to refer me to a dietician because it was time to start taking better care of myself, be healthy, maybe lose some weight.  I have said this before but I believe this next meeting was what I call "divine intervention".  I had an appointment with one of the dieticians at the hospital, Theresa Stahl.  After an hour appointment I felt like I had learned so much, got some great ideas, tips, a list of tasks and goals, and lots of information.  During this visit, she informed of this class that the hospital offered.  It was called "Change To Win".  A ten week class going over different topics on nutrition (below is an old flyer, and a picture of Theresa and I taken for a testimonial I was asked to write up for the hospital.  I took this class three times.  In the 30 weeks that I took this class I lost over 60 pounds.  The class covered so many great topics on general nutrition and gave you great tools to want to learn more.  The bonus, you paid $60 dollars for the class, but if you attended 8 of the 10 classes and lost 10 pounds during the ten weeks, you got $50 back.  Now, that was a great incentive.

While taking the class I learned of more things that were offered through the hospital.  I went and took part in a grocery store tour.  Another dietician at the hospital would give you an aisle by aisle tour of the grocery store giving you pointers, suggestions, things to look for, learn about reading labels, things to avoid.  This definitely made me think more about what I have since and continue to put into my grocery cart.  What a valuable resource.

Then there is Mile Movers.  Every month you get a tracking card, keep track of your steps, turn them into the hospital and be entered into a drawing to win a $25 gift card.  A few times every year they offer special challenges, with some bigger monetary prizes.  Nice that not only are you getting exercise everyday but getting your steps in, but you could also win money...nice.

During the third time of taking Change to Win, the hospital decided to start a Weight Management Support Group.  I was hesitant about this, but thought I would go check it out and see what it was all about.  Another great decision.  I think the group started last February and I am still going.  It meets twice a week and is led by a great team of health and wellness coach at the hospital and a team of dieticians.  Each group meeting brings a new topic along with honest and open discussion from members about their successes, struggles, and things in general.  It has really become a place where I can be completely honest about my journey.  I have met some of the greatest people in the last year that I truly call friends.  Each meeting I not only look forward to hearing new information but seeing the "regulars" and also welcoming new people is so much fun.

After starting going to the support group, I decided to make an appointment with Carey, the health and wellness coach that leads the group.  The hospital offers this service to meet with her, sit down, figure out what you need to work on, and come up with goals.  She then keeps in touch with you seeing how you are doing and checking in on your where you are and how you are doing with what you had discussed.  I must say, a great help.

Some of these programs and services at the hospital and free and available to all members of the community.  Honestly I never knew that any of these things existed until that first meeting with Theresa.  I really don't know what your area has or offers, but if you have a hospital in your area I would say it is definitely worth checking out.  You just never know what opportunities and programs might be out there for you to help you.  This was and continues to be a tremendous help to me in my journey. 

Go out there and check our your surroundings in the community around you.  Who knows what you may find.

No comments:

Post a Comment