Sunday, October 5, 2014

Exercising for a Worthwhile Cause

Unless you live under a rock most people know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  For many years this has been one of the causes that I contribute both my time and money to.  This horrible disease has touched people that I know throughout the years.  Some have lost their lives while others have fought a tough and courageous battle and today stand strong as a survivor.

Not sure how many years ago it was but I found out that our company had a team that participated in a breast cancer walk in Hagerstown, which is where my corporate office is located.  An email was sent out and we were invited to join those walking from our other office.  I couldn't pass up this opportunity.  I have tried to do it every year (I think there was one year a couple of years ago when I couldn't participate because I flew back home to Maine to visit family for vacation).

This year I will walking again but instead of going to Hagerstown and walking with my company team I will be staying local and walking with a team called the Pink Ladies (thanks to my boss Dana for inviting me).  Both walks are the same day and instead of driving the distance to Hagerstown I decided to stay local.  Plus, the money that is raised does stay local which is always nice.

This year's walk means just a little more to me this year (not that any other year isn't important).  Before I went on vacation last month I received a message from one of my friends and sorority sisters back in Maine telling me that she had breast cancer.  I was in shock.  I know there is no age discrimination but it just really hit home for me.  It once again just made it so personal and so close to home.  I cried and all I could think of was why her.  She has a family and two beautiful children and it just didn't seem fair.  But I have to tell you in the days past hearing what she has been through (surgery and so on) I have gained a new appreciation for her and her strength.  Adversity truly does bring out the fighter in you.  I am so proud of how she has handled this and I pray that in the days and months to come everything continues to go well and she can put this behind her and move forward.  God Bless you Jenn and your family....I will continue to keep you all in prayers and thoughts each day.

So, while I am great at volunteering my time and contributing money to causes I feel are worthwhile during the year where I suck is raising money.  Each year when I would walk I would ask for donations but I just really have a hard time asking people to do this.  These days lots of people struggle with their own problem (illnesses, money, and so on) and the last think they need is someone asking them for money.  While some people are good at fundraising....this girl isn't one of them, never have been.  That being said I was trying to think of a way to raise money to donate this year.

If you read my last blog post (Wellness Ambassdor) I made the decision to donate my $100.00 prize for being awarded wellness ambassador to the cause.  But I thought what I can do to give more this year and then it hit me...

Exercise!!!  Yup, exercise.  I think of each year that I have walked and watching the survivors show up.  Some are unable to participate in the walk but are still there to cheer those on that can plus be there to be recognized.  Then there are those that can walk, even if it was just that first lap around the track or finishing the entire walk.  So what I have decided to do in donate based on my activity for the month of October up through the 17th (the walk is on the 18th).

For each day I reach 10,000 steps, I will donate $1.  If I reach 20,000 steps in a day I will donate $2.  For every mile (whether it be walking or biking) I complete I will donate $1 per mile.  I will also forfeit my exercise jar money during this time period.  For those of you that don't know about my exercise jar, I put a dollar in the jar for every day that I exercise.

So far through the first five days of October:

Steps -

10/1 -  16,733
10/2 -   14,180
10/3 -    15,462
10/4 -     14,110
10/5 -     17,093

Miles Completed -

10/1   Walking/Jogging -  5.04 miles
10/2    Walking/Jogging - 3.79 miles
10/3    Walking/Jogging - 4.65 miles
10/4     Walking/Jogging -  3.45 miles
            Biking -    10.5 miles
10/5    Walking/Jogging   5.02 miles

So through today my exercise donation is $42.45.

If I can keep up this pace I should be able to make a nice final contribution to Breast Cancer Awareness which makes me very happy.

If you would like to contribute to this great cause here is the link to my page -    Making Strikes Against Breast Cancer

While I don't expect anyone to contribute I post my link in case you haven't seen it before and wish to contribute.

This is also where I recognize that all of us feel strongly about so many causes out there.  I personally have a list of favorites that each year I spend my time and money to contribute to.  While there isn't one cause out there more important than other (because there are so many out there) it is up to each of us individually to decide what moves or inspires us to want to give give our time or money.  The key is find something that you feel strongly about and do what you can - volunteer at a animal or homeless shelter, walk or bike ride for a cause, donate your blood, have your bone marrow tested, or become an organ donor.  There are so many things to do out there.  I for one admit since moving down here to Maryland I have gotten away from serving my community because I really didn't know where to start.  When I was in Maine I knew where to go and what to do.  When I was in college I was part of a service sorority (Gamma Sigma Sigma) where the emphasis was placed on service.  We had to compete so many service hours each semester.  It was during this time that I put in a ton of hours helping so many different causes and where I fell in love with serving my community (which was Bangor at the time while being at Husson University).  During this journey the last couple of years I have found that this is one aspect of my life that has been missing.  While I have participated in these walks, I know that there is so much more I can do.  My hope is that in the coming year I can get out there more, learn more about the community that I live in, and find places where I use my talents and abilities to help.  I will forever love my hometown of Milo and the other towns/cities I have lived in (Dexter and Bangor) and the state of Maine, but I have come to realize recently that I finally have considering Cumberland my home (I know finally after 10 plus years).  While I like to hide and maintain my personal space and privacy, it is time to get out into the community and see what I can do.

Good night and God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment